Saturday the Upper Monastery is represented by a monastic monks, located on the river Saturday, at the foot of the Fagaras Mountains. It was documented in 1654, when the village Saturday's Top Preda Brancoveanu take possession.
Initially, there was a wooden church here dedicated double (Assumption and Healing Spring), built in 1657. Later, between 1696-1707, the initiative Constantin Brancoveanu, he built a church built for the monks hermits in the area.
Fagaras Fortress was documented for the first time in 1455, although construction work begun in the late fourteenth century, on the site of fortifications XII-XIII century.
Representation of the Renaissance, the city is based on Transylvanian Gothic imprint.
Since 1526 was led by Prince of Transylvania, Stephen Mailath, for 15 years. In 1599 came into possession of Prince Michael the Brave, which was housed here with his family during the fighting in 1599-1600. The fortress was used as a residence for the principles of Transylvania, Transylvanian Diet operated here.
While degraded, being used as a prison (1948-1960), where political prisoners were incarcerated.
After 1965, the fortress began the planning of a museum, opened today.
(Translated with Google Translate)
- Artistic and historical sites
- Churches and monasteries
- Skiing (downhill)
- Mountain bike